If you have an English Bulldog puppy, you must start thinking about potty training as soon as possible! This is why we give you – the ultimate guide on how to potty train your English bulldog:
Why do you need to potty train your English Bulldog?
When you choose to share your love and life with an English bulldog puppy, get ready for endless snorts, slobbery kisses, and more wrinkly cuteness than you can handle. But before you dive headfirst into this jumpy adventure, we need to tackle the little matter of potty training.
Why do you need to potty train your dog? First things first, nobody wants their home transformed into a minefield of unpleasant surprises. That’s precisely why potty training is crucial. Teaching your English Bulldog where and when to do their business will spare you from living in a perpetual state of potty business fear!
The sooner you start, the better because your English bulldog is easier to train when they are still a little bundle of joy. When they grow, they tend to develop some temperament and personality traits that are very charming but pretty hard to mold with training. It is all because of their stubbornness and natural grumpiness! Also, as soon as you teach them that the pee-pee and poo-poo do not have a place in your living home, carpet or bed, or even shoes, it will be better for you! Here is when the time is right to start potty training your English bulldog:
When is the best time to start potty training your bulldog?
When it comes to potty training, timing is key. Start as early as possible, ideally when your Bulldog pup is around 12-16 weeks old. This is right after they’ve settled into their new home and can recognize you as their mighty pack leader. Be prepared that they love to sleep and snooze all day, especially in their comfy doggy beds! You need to track the sleeping – peeing schedule to prevent the exidents! Embrace this opportunity to shape their toilet habits and control the damage.
Actually, as some experts say, you can start even earlier by showing them the potty place and letting them introduce the new bathroom space but have no expectations of them at that time. Even though they are very young at that time, they will mark in their mind that this is their potty place, and later it will be easier for them to learn and adapt to new rules!
How to potty train your English bulldog (step by step):
Alrighty, let’s get down to business. Prepare your toolbox and follow these steps toward potty training success:
- Location, location, location! Designate a specific area outside, whether it’s your garden or the neighbourhood park, and make it the holy land of doggy potty. Bulldog puppies, like many youngsters, require consistency, so take your furry baby to their chosen spot whenever they need to relieve themselves.
- The power of timing. Your bulldog is a furry alarm clock, so pay attention to those signals! After key events like meals, playtime, or naps in their cozy doggy beds, take your pup to their special spot to do their business.
- Treats and praise: Positive reinforcement, my friend! Praise your Bulldog puppy as they’ve just mastered rocket science whenever they successfully potty in the right place. Treats and belly rubs work wonders too!
- Expect accidents! Hey, accidents happen, so don’t freak out when the unexpected happens. Stay calm and clean up the mess without making a fuss. Bulldog babies are toilet experts in training but everyone fumbles once or twice on their path to success!
Remember, patience and calmness are the key since your doggo is little, prone to some potty incidents, and you need to keep it cool! Bulldogs learn relatively fast, so don’t worry; this won’t last forever. Also, some English bulldog breeders recommend starting crate training early to help them prolong the time between potty walks.
What if my Bulldog has trouble learning to use the potty?
Let me tell you a secret: potty training a Bulldog can sometimes feel like learning Mandarin in a day. It’s tough! But hey, fear not; there are a few troubleshooting strategies to help your British Bulldog overcome the potty difficulties:
- The scent! If your pup has trouble finding a designated outdoor oasis to do their business, help them with a specific scent. Sprinkle some doggy “treats” or use a few drops of tempting scent to help them connect the dots. These tactics can help them find their spot, and also they will connect the smell with the potty business, and everything will be set in its place!
- The time warp technique! Does your English Bulldog seem hesitant to make it to the designated potty spot in time? Stay alert and practice Time Warp. Start noticing your doggos’ signals right before they need to go, and lead them to their potty oasis just in time!
- Seek professional help: Sometimes, despite your best efforts, a Bulldog will dig in their stubborn heels. If there is no progress, don’t hesitate to ask for a professional dog trainer and their help. These experts will amaze you with their canine charisma, turning your Bulldog into a potty pro in no time.
Overall, the subject of potty training your English Bulldog is no walk in the park. It’s more like a brisk jog through an obstacle course. But with patience, consistency, and some funny moments, you and your Bulldog will conquer the world of potty training, one bathroom break at a time.
Remember, the key to success is embracing the journey, mishaps and all, as laughter is the best remedy for any potty mistake. Happy training!